The municipality of Cerralvo is located in the heart of the state of Nayarit, Mexico. Its central location makes it an important agricultural and tourist hub of the state. Cerralvo is located at the intersection of two major highways; the Federal Highway 15 (MEX-15) and the Federal Highway 26 (MEX-26). It is about 200 km (120 mi) south of Tepic, the state’s capital. The most important activity in Cerralvo is the production of sugar cane and other agricultural products. The municipality is also home to some of the most important archaeological sites in Mexico, showcasing the heritage of pre-hispanic civilizations. Cerralvo has an average elevation of 350 meters (1,150 feet) above sea level and its total area is 886 square kilometers (344 square miles). It has a population of 40,833 inhabitants (according to the INEGI 2020 census). The municipality has a wide array of attractions such as the Cerralvo Dam, the Cerralvo Hot Springs and the historic city center.
Nayarit Cerralvo district is located in the northern part of the Mexican state of Nayarit. It is centered in the city of Cerralvo, which serves as its municipal seat. The district is part of the eastern Sierra Madre Occidental mountain range, and is bordered by the Durango, Sinaloa, and Zacatecas states. The district covers an area of 8,346.8 square kilometres (3,228 sq mi), and had a population of 58,170 inhabitants as of 2010.
If you want to go to the Nayarit Cerralvo district, the best way to get there is to take a plane or a bus to the region. Flying is usually the fastest and most convenient way to get there, but you may also find buses that are cheaper and more economical. In either case, look for flights and buses to the Nuevo Vallarta Airport, which is the closest airport to the district.
1. Hacienda El Nacimiento: This 18th century hacienda is located in the city of Cerralvo in the Nayarit municipality of Mexico. It is now an archaeological site and museum with many old buildings, ruins and aqueducts and is recognized as a national landmark.
2. Casa Peonil: Casa Peonil, or the Peonil House, is an 18th-century building located in Nayarit, in the Cerralvo district of Mexico. It is known for its unique architectural style, combining elements of Baroque and Neoclassical architecture. The house has been properly restored and is open for visitors to explore.
3. El Meson de las Flores: Located in the town of Cerralvo, El Meson de las Flores is a historical place beloved by locals and visitors alike. The building is said to be constructed in the 19th century and features columns, pools and terraces. It was formerly a Stagecoach inn where travelers stopped to rest and socialize.
4. Templo y Convento de la Asuncion: This Franciscan temple, founded in the 16th century, is the oldest religious building in the district of Cerralvo. Its most striking feature are the impressive stained glass windows, which depict scenes from the Bible.
5. Ermita de Guadalupe: The Ermita de Guadalupe is a beautiful chapel located in Cerralvo, in Nayarit. The building dates back to the 17th century and its architecture features colonial elements that hint to its former glory.
6. Parroquia de Cerralvo: This old parish church is the main religious building in Cerralvo and has been standing since the 18th century. It boasts an impressive Baroque facade and is the main landmark of the town.
7. Museo de Culturas Cerralvenses: This contemporary museum, located in the town of Cerralvo, houses historical artifacts from the area around Cerralvo, including pottery, masks, jewelry and textiles. The museum also features exhibits about the history, art and culture of Cerralvo’s pre-Hispanic past.
1. San Blas Ecological Reserve – This amazing nature reserve is home to a wide variety of tropical wildlife, including rare species of birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians. You will find a variety of different habitats within the reserve, including tropical rainforest, mangroves and estuaries. Be sure to bring your binoculars and camera to capture the stunning views and wildlife.
2. Tepic Botanical Garden – This stunning botanical garden is situated on the outskirts of Tepic and is divided into two sections. The first section is a tropical dry forest, while the second is a botanical garden showcasing Mexican and tropical plants. You can also explore the beautiful gardens and trails, as well as see some of the wildlife, including exotic birds.
3. Teacapán Mangrove Ecological Reserve – This amazing reserve is teeming with wildlife and plants, and is a great place to explore on foot. Explore the mangrove forest, and learn about the different species of plants and animals that call the reserve home. Don’t forget your binoculars and camera to capture the amazing sights!
4. Los Mangos Resort and Gardens – Located on the coast of Nayarit, Los Mangos is a beautiful resort and botanical garden. Take some time to explore the grounds, which boast a lake, fruit orchards, cacti gardens and much more. Enjoy a day of swimming and sunbathing or simply relax and take in the breathtaking views.
5. Islas Marias Bioluminescence Tour – Enjoy an unforgettable evening tour of the Islas Marias, where you will explore amazing bioluminescent beings on the islands’ unique waters. The islands are home to a wide array of exotic wildlife and plants, perfect for exploring and admiring.
6. San Pancho Surf Beach – Popular among locals and tourists alike, San Pancho is a great spot for water activities such as swimming and surfing. Catch some waves, relax by the shore and enjoy the stunning views. Take some time to explore the local area and check out some of the great restaurants, cafes and souvenir shops.
Nayarit Cerralvo district offers many activities that cater to tourists who come to explore the area’s culture, landscape, and wildlife.
1. Whale Watching: The best time to go whale watching in Cerralvo, Nayarit is between December and March. The nearby Bahia Banderas serves as a breeding ground for humpback whales, and whale watching tours are available that provide visitors with a close-up encounter of these incredible marine mammals.
2. Horseback riding: horseback riding is a popular activity in Cerralvo and the surrounding region. Trails can be found that offer easy and moderate routes, as well as more challenging ones.
3. Fishing: The Pacific waters surrounding Cerralvo are home to a variety of sport fish, including sailfish, tuna, and marlin, making it a great destination for fishing enthusiasts.
4. Kayaking: The calm waters of the Bahia Banderas are perfect for kayaking. Experienced kayakers can explore more challenging routes, while beginners can enjoy calmer waters.
5. Surfing: Cerralvo is known for its epic surfing, especially during the months of July and August. Visitors to the region should make sure to check out Banderas Beach and its epic waves.
6. Hiking: Cerralvo offers some spectacular hikes, including the Cerralvo Nature Reserve which provides a great opportunity to take in the region’s diverse flora and fauna. There are also some shorter trails suitable for family hikes.
7. Bird Watching: The Canal del Mar Nature Reserve is one of the best spots for bird watching in the area, with a wide variety of species to be found in the area’s mangrove forests.
8. Food and Drink: The tried and tested Paleteria and Pescaderia has become something of an institution for tourists and locals alike. The open air food-court serves up freshly-caught seafood dishes and other local fare, as well as a range of refreshing beverages.